to view options
Shared Purpose Home Page
"Everything ON the table, everybody AT the table"
Statement of Purpose
The Challenges of the Times
Today, our country confronts enormous challenges. The economy is not generating enough financially viable jobs. It is weighed down by massive and mounting public debts and a runaway deficit. Health and retirement costs are growing too fast. Our schools are failing many of our children. We can’t seem to break our addiction to foreign oil. And the list goes on.
The United States cannot afford to take its preeminence in the world for granted any longer. Once the world’s most enterprising, inventive, and adaptive country, our nation’s continued progress is in peril. While our people are as dynamic, hard-working, and ingenious as ever, our political system is clearly broken, just when we need it the most. Our political discourse increasingly offers up cynical, petty partisanship at the expense of practical solutions to the challenges facing our national well-being. But, we’ve faced challenges before, and we’ve come together to overcome them – and we’ll do it again.
Throughout the history of our nation, Americans have come together in times of crisis. It happened during WWII, the Cold War, and in the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. We have always found that same spirit of national solidarity to address the broad range of challenges facing America. We are united by our shared purpose and our common interests – and our longstanding values.
The Opportunity of Shared Purpose
No Labels does not believe we need to search for better values or principles.
The solution is even simpler: we must return to the essence of our beliefs. Most Americans in the vital center of our still great country believe that:
The No Labels movement was born out of support for these shared goals, and we are committed to helping our nation remain true to these values that we all profess in an environment, which encourages fact-based discussions.
- Americans are entitled to a government and a political system that works – driven by shared purpose and common sense.
- Americans deserve a government that makes the necessary choices to rein in runaway deficits, secure Social Security and Medicare, and put our country on a viable, sound path going forward.Americans support a government that works to spur employment and economic opportunity by encouraging free and open markets, tempered by sensible regulation.
- Americans want a government that empowers people with the tools for success – from a world-class education to affordable healthcare – provided that it does so in a fiscally prudent way.
- America should be free from discrimination and should embrace the principle of equal opportunity.
- America must be strong and safe, ready and able to protect itself in a world of multiple dangers and uncertainties.
We are not labels – we are people.
We must put our labels aside,
And put the issues and what’s best for the nation first.
A promising future awaits us.
Just as citizen movements have played an important role in America since its inception, it is time for another movement, one based on No Labels and the merit of ideas. Thanks to the technological innovation available today, we can break down the old hierarchies of power and influence. True Democracy is possible today because we can tether together online, share our concerns and ideas, and exert enormous influence. Today, we join together and connect with one another, and we can make all our voices heard as our Founding Fathers intended.
We can overthrow the tyranny of hyper-partisanship that dominates our political culture today. We can break down the institutions of power that are corroding our system. We can do this because we have the power of numbers. All we have to do is join together.
We have shared values and common purpose. The times are challenging and they call for national renewal. We don’t need labels; we need leaders, everywhere, throughout society, who will discuss issues based upon their merits.
We need YOU.